Thursday, October 10, 2013

French Gold Dipped Dresser

This was the most difficult projects BY FAR that I've completed. I received a free sample of Annie Sloan's "Louis Blue" and was excited to try a chalk paint that wasn't homemade by moi. 

The gold dipped dressers online inspired me, so when I saw this beaut at Goodwill I knew just what I wanted to do! This was my first French Provincial Dresser re-do!
She was solid, dovetailed, original hardware, and the drawers were immaculate with dividers inside!



I started by painting the entire piece...
That's right, no sanding no priming! 
(That's kind of a fib as I did rough up the piece but only due to disbelief that I didn't need to!) this piece had some trouble spots but this paints coverage was beyond amazing to me. 




After two coats of ASCP I lightly sanded and the finish was the smoothest I've ever felt! 



Plus you can "wet distress" with this paint- or in my case "wet drip erase" as I am a messy painter. 




The paint covered every scratch, ding, and finish imperfections! 
The only negative to this paint was the chalk dust after sanding. And it was EVERYWHERE! Blue chalk for days. 

Now came the tough part. I taped off the bottom 1/4 with Frog Tape and taped a line of paper above that to catch any stray paint. Of course the day I decided to spray paint it was windy as all get out. 

I chose to use Valspars Metallic Gold. 


(Truthfully I wanted Rustoleum but Lowes was out.)

Of course due to wind I did still have to touch up quite a few places where the paint snuck through my paper backsplash- I would recommend overlapping them and heavily taping them together. 
I did many a touch ups, but after I finally got it looking and feeling the way I wanted, I sealed it with Rustoleums Matte Poly.

Two coats of that and I was done done done! 










It's amazing how the colors change in each different lighting!






Linking up at these parties
The Shabby NestFurniture Feature Fridays startathomeLiz Marie Blog



Friday, October 4, 2013

Little Emerald Table

So this makeover was a long time coming. I'd say we had this little table for at least 10 months- and wouldn't you know in that amount of time I still didn't get a before picture! The afters aren't too great since it was pouring outside so I had to settle for the foyer to get any natural light. That's Washington for ya.


The legs were wobbly so I removed, wood glued (and added some gorilla glue for good measure) and screwed them back on. Perfectly sturdy. The top was chipped, and the legs had been chewed by a small creature- distressed was the only way to go for this piece. After priming I used Pantones Emerald Green.
Then after it dried, I ran some leftover Minwax wood stain (don't remember the name of the color but it was on the darker side) to antique the piece. 


Excuse the mess, we are moving on Halloween! New home, new decorating!


I actually love the chippy sides, it just adds character!