Thursday, November 7, 2013

Mermaid Dresser


This dresser is a hard one to part with. This piece was also found on CL- for $5! Yep that is right- solid wood, original hardware and all drawers.


One drawer slide was a bit broken but we fixed it up with a small piece of wood from Lowes. 


This is the top. Rough right? Black spots and tons of deep scratches. The sides were the same.

Yuck. The drawers had old contact paper that was gross. Ripped it out, cleaned everything and got ready to paint! I decided on ASCP Coco for the top and Florence for the body. 


My helper Ranger. He's looking at me like he has no faith this piece will turn out beautiful! I sanded the top and painted in Coco two coats. Then I distressed so some of the old marks showed through- I cannot do a "perfect" piece.  There's no fun in that for me. The coverage of this paint is just great.


Then I painted the frame and drawers with Florence. 


The drawers were too polished looking, so I roughed them up, antiqued them with a bit of Min-wax Espresso stain, and then washed them in random spots with more Florence. 

Here she is without the pulls. I painted them metallic gold and roughed them up as well. 


I then papered the insides of the drawers with scrapbook paper and Modge Podge and sealed with Minwax Paste Wax! 


I think of mermaids when I look at the variation in color and it makes me want to make a place for it!





Sorry for the photos- we just moved and trust me, the pics outside are less distracting than they would be inside!


Linking Up At These Parties
startathomeLiz Marie Blog
Furniture Feature Fridays

2 comments:

  1. What a fun Color and I love the drawers!! Thank you for linking up!!
    Brooke
    startathome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete